Friday, December 7, 2012

Recipe Review: Potato Lover's Soup with Crispy Bacon

I have not posted a recipe review since BEFORE Olivia was born. I have missed writing these posts so much!! I cannot promise that I will post a recipe review every week, but I will try not to let so much time go by in between now and my next post.

As you know Weight Watchers 360° launched this week. In honor of this special occasion, I wanted to try a recipe from my newest Weight Watchers cookbook, "What to Eat Now". This cookbook comes in the Ultimate Weight Watchers 360° kit, that we talked about yesterday.



This new cookbook has 150 recipes, meal ideas, and more for your first 12 weeks on plan. I really like this, because so many people ask me what they should eat now that they are on Weight Watchers and this book helps to get your weight loss journey off to a good start!

The Ingredients

Instead of using three small potatoes, I weighed out 24 ounces of potatoes.
 

First, I cooked the turkey bacon.

Next, I cooked the green onions and garlic.

Then I added all the other ingredients except the potatoes.
 

I added my soup mixture to the Crock Pot with the potatoes and let it cook all day.

This is the final product! It was so good!


. . . . . . . . . .
Potato Lover's Soup with Crispy Bacon
Source: What to Eat Now By, Weight Watchers
______________________________
Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
Calories: 215
Fat: 4 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 10 g
Old Points: 4 pt
Points+: 5 pts+
______________________________ 
Ingredients
3 large (8 ounce) baked russet potatoes
3 strips bacon
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
3/4 cup fat free half and half

Instructions
1. Leaving skin on, coarsely chop potatoes; set aside

2. Cook bacon in large nonstick saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour off and discard all but 1 teaspoon of drippings.

3. Add garlic and half of scallions to drippings in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add broth, salt, pepper sauce, and potatoes, mashing potatoes with wooden spoon to break them up slightly. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until heated through. 2-3 minutes

4. Stir in half and half and return to simmer. Serve soup sprinkled with crumbled bacon and remaining scallions.

*For your information
This soup is especially convenient if you have leftover baked potatoes on hand. If you don't, preheat the oven to 425°F, pierce each potato a few times with a fork, and place on the middle rack of the oven. Bake until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.

1 comment:

mellissa said...

This looks really delicious! I recently found your blog and love reading it daily! I am going to try this recipie! Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...