Friday, November 19, 2010

Flashback Friday: Dad's Table

This is my Dad. I am not trying to make fun of him by posting this silly picture. He is always being silly and trying to make me laugh. This is his very normal and true goofy self.


My flashback today has nothing to do with the people in these pictures and everything to do with the table in these pictures.



It is such a beautiful table, isn't it? My Dad made it himself. I think that makes it even more special.

Dad made this table in 1996. Dad had been working on his table for a long time. It really was a family project, because during the evenings that he worked on it he would have all of us kids take turns sanding the wood. It takes a very long time to sand an entire table by hand.

In November 1996, my Mom offered to host Thanksgiving at our house. Dad's entire family was coming to spend time with us. There were going to be a lot of people and Dad wanted the table ready so that we could use it for our Thanksgiving meal. He worked so hard to get the table ready in time for Thanksgiving.

It was finally finished by Thanksgiving morning. Now all that was left to do was bring the table up from the garage and into the dining room. My Grandpa got to our house early and was going to help my Dad move his solid oak table. I say "solid oak", so that you will understand that this table is heavy.

My Dad and Grandpa slowly moved the table from the garage out around the back of the house. Their plan was to bring it through the french doors in the dining room. There was only one problem...the table was too big to fit through the door!

All of us kids were inside laughing at the sight on my Dad and Grandpa trying to fit this table through a door that was obviously too small. The solution: Dad and Grandpa decided to remove the french doors to get the table inside.

Finally after a while they were able to remove the doors and bring the table into the house!!

This is probably one of my favorite Thanksgiving memories. To this day, it still makes me laugh.


Visit Tia for more flashbacks.
Flashback Friday Button

10 comments:

maria said...

That's a sweet story.

Maria

Michael and Jen said...

That is amazing!! What a wonderful memory. My dad loves to work with wood but hasn't in several years. I miss it. This reminds me of something my dad would have loved to do.

Jen Newsham said...

Maria - Thanks!! I thought so too!

Jen Newsham said...

Jen - This really is a classic Dad story. Mine was always tinkering around with something. :)

Losing Brownies said...

That is a great memory! That's for sharing it!

Jen Newsham said...

Losing Brownies - You're welcome!

Diana said...

What a great memory! I guess they never heard the saying, measure twice cut once! Love Di ♥

Emily said...

Removing the doors to get the table through! That's awesome! It is a gorgeous table. Your dad (and all who helped with the sanding) did a wonderful job on it.
I found you through Blog Frog. I always love finding other Christian bloggers! Hope you have a good weekend.

Rachel said...

and it is an absolutely beautiful table!

Jen Newsham said...

Diana - I guess not!

Emily Joyce - Thanks!! I enjoy finding Christian bloggers too! Hope to hear from you again soon.

Rachel - Thanks!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...